Why (and When) did You Become an Oriole Fan ???

OFFNY

o

OK, the why for many posters is the obvious ......... some of you grew up in Maryland/Northern Virginia/etc, so you chose the home team. For some of us others, we have different reasons. But for all Oriole fans, at least share with us whenyou became an Oriole fan. Here is my story. I'd love to hear some more (I'm sure that many are quite interesting.) :)

I have lived my whole life in Brewster, NY, and I love the Orioles (and I hate the Yankees.) I started rooting for the Orioles in October of 1971, when I was a 6 year-old boy in 1st grade. My whole family was rooting for the Pirates in the World Series because they liked Roberto Clemente ......... so naturally, I rooted for the Orioles)¬¬  )I remember that we won Game 6 when an Orioles runner slid home underneath the Pirates' catcher who had leaped high in the air for the throw (I later learned that it was Frank Robinson sliding underneath Manny Sanguillen.) I remember all of the Orioles hugging each other at home plate. The next day was a different story. It was a close game. My family was really excited with the Pirates having a 2-1 lead with only one out to go. I still remember the final out of the 9th inning. It was a ground-out. My family whooped it up in the living room, while I went outside and pouted on the swing-set in our back yard in Brewster Heights. I've been bleeding orange-and-black ever since, and I haven't regretted my decision for one minute of my life. ) :cool:

O

• Upvote 2

I've lived my whole life in various parts of NY state.

I grew up in Rochester, going to Red Wings games when Cal Ripken, Mike Boddicker, Storm Davis, were all playing in AAA. One day, one player gets removed from the game and an announcement is made he's been called up. I ask my dad what that means, and he tells me that player is joing the Baltimore Orioles. I've been an O's fan ever since. This happened in the early 80s, when I was 6-7 years old.

And, I loved the yearly Orioles-Red Wings exhibition in Rochester. I used to go to that game every year as a kid, collecting autographs.

Edited by JamesI
  • Upvote 1

I've lived my whole life in various parts of NY state.

I grew up in Rochester, going to Red Wings games when Cal Ripken, Mike Boddicker, Storm Davis, were all playing in AAA. One day, one player gets removed from the game and an announcement is made he's been called up. I ask my dad what that means, and he tells me that player is joing the Baltimore Orioles. I've been an O's fan ever since. This happened in the early 80s, when I was 6-7 years old.

And, I loved the yearly Orioles-Red Wings exhibition in Rochester. I used to go to that game every year as a kid, collecting autographs.

I too spent my youth years in Rochester. Watching guys like Boog, Grich, Belanger, Baylor, Rettemund, Dauer, Murray and all made it easy to become an Oriole fan. The organization was great from Stockton, Bluefield and all the way. Rochester was the envy of the minor leagues. The Rochester press give the whole Oriole's system a lot of press. Much more than the Yanks.

There was, and probably still a large contingent of (graying) Oriole fans in Rochester area. I was saddened when after years of promises by Thrift and the lack of any recognition of the city by PA, that the Wings fired the O's. But, I'll always love the O's.

Born and raised in NYC and currently reside in Brooklyn. My brother got me a Yankees jacket while I was in elementary school. It was short lived because I somehow lost it. (strange he got me a Yankees jacket when he was a Mets fan) Upon looking at it now, I think it was a sign. I started rooting for the Orioles watching the '79 world series even though they ended up losing it to the Pirates. I was just more exposed to the AL than the NL.

• Thanks 1

Like the other responders here, I'm from New York. Not too far from OFFNY, I'm in lower Westchester.

Basically my Dad was a huge O's fan even when he grew up on Long Island. To be honest I think he was a huge fair weather fan. The Orioles dominated the 60's and 70's, right during his childhood. Even through the lows though, he decided to stay loyal to the team and since has passed his fan hood down to me and my brother.

Growing up being an O's fan in New York has been tough. I get flak for it all the time from my friends. It'll all be worth it though once the O's finally win it all

• Thanks 1

I became an O's fan because about the time I was becoming interested in baseball, I was living in Baltimore, and they just got this new team from St. Louis. So I went to see them play at Memorial Stadium in 1955. My favorite player was Bob "the rope" Boyd, because he was the only one who could hit.:laughlol:

• Thanks 1

When? That would be the day I arrived...

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=197405290KCA

Why? Its in my blood. Its who I was born to be; its what I was born to do. Since that 10-3 win on my birth day, I have been an Orioles fan ever since and will forever be.

Also of note on my birthday, 35 years later, May 29, 2009, you all might remember this....

object>

• Thanks 1